catching up

It’s been a while.


you missed the typhoon that hit the university’s bike, what violence


I’ve been away on Friday, joining the Rotary of Kyushu for some more awesome opportunities. I’ll make it short but it was basically a lot of Chinese/Nagasaki food on Friday, with a tour in the Peace Park and the Atomic Bomb Museum (which I’ve finally done), a talk from a survivor (which hurt right in the gut) and a night festival with some awesome locations. We were given the first seats to see dances and all the events associated with the Kunchi matsuri. This is an autumn festival, happening yearly for 380 years, with a lot of performances. It’s hard to describe but it was sure impressive to see and I didn’t use any of my seat privileges since I was too busy sitting on the raw floor in front of the performers to get some nice pictures.

[you’ll get the pictures when i’ll be done going through the 9xx pictures i took…]

We slept in a hotel, in a traditional Japanese room, offering us a beautiful view on Nagasaki. Being in the outside onsen while watching the city was definitely a magic experience. The sunrise and the light waking us up through the window was also largely appreciated.



The whole thing was a bit overshadowed by the fact that my DSLR once more gave up on me. This time for some intern electronic mishaps and the rest of the pictures of the day were taken by phone.

Not that much of a problem because at 9 we were gone to Huis Ten Bosch, a gigantic theme park in the middle of Kyushu.

2016-10-08 11.00.21.jpg

A theme park about the Netherlands. A freaking park about the Netherlands. With replicas of churches from Utrecht, train stations from Amsterdam and canals everywhere.



The funny thing is that everything is larger than the actual thing in the Netherlands. The canals are wider, the houses bigger with more spaces and the streets seem luxurious when really, the whole thing is covered with bikes ready to drive over you.



with the beautiful raincoat


To add some reality to the whole theme experience, it was raining that day. And not a little bit. The Rotary being really prepared, each of us got a raincoat and we were ready to walk along the streets. I was with a Rotex (studying in my university and living in my dorm!!) who went to the USA and another one who just came back from exchange from the USA as well. We kind of made it a mission to focus our 4 hours visit on food and we started by getting frozen yoghurt. Later on, we tried every free food sample the park had to offer, and let me tell you, they had a lot.


mind you, i only ate one of those and it was enough to make me sick
free sample of castella, Nagasaki’s sponge cake (declined into a dozens of flavours)(tried them all, of course)
we continue the weird tasting with cheese and weird toppings


We tried everything. At least I did. I even went overboard and when it was time to hop on the bus back, I felt sick as hell. The good thing is that my intern illness waited for me to arrive home to release the kraken and I suffered long 13 hours of food poisoning. I think I ate something I shouldn’t have and all the sugar/fat I added onto it didn’t help.


I woke up on Sunday, and I needed to get up at some point so I did. I ran some errands with my bike and inexorably ended up at the food stalls of the festival. It was the last day and I absolutely wanted to try some of the food they had. Stuff like taiyaki (fish-shaped red bean paste cakes) are only found there and this is some of the stuff I love the most.



taiyaki #thegraal


So I buckled up my body disagreements (and avoided to tell my mom that no, I didn’t follow a coke and rice diet, but rather a « festival-food based-diet » 24 hours after my food poisoning) and ate some of the stuff I really wanted. No one died in the end and I survived the aftershock pretty well.

I went back to sleep for a dozen of hours and woke up fresh like a flower on Monday morning. Great timing, Monday is a holiday day and the weather finally started to get fresher.


It is only 25 degrees in the apartment now in the morning, far from the 33 degrees of last week. Sleeping at night with the window open even felt a bit frisky, which is an appreciated sensation after weeks of Indian summer.



Autumn is definitely around the corner.


I went for a walk and gifted myself to a lunch outside to a nearby coffee. I then walked some kilometers to the center to try another French cake shop (where I got so much free cake, because the lady was excited that I was French)(and they were all very kind)(and the cakes good) and finally, I joined some friends to the top of Inasayama. It’s a very popular spot in Nagasaki and it took me a good month to finally see it, and oh my, it was so worth it!




The view was amazing and the sunset to die for. These shades of oranges shifting to pink progressively, and the reflection of the sun on the sea and the nearby islands was just a treat for the eyes. The fainting light on the city and the port was also pretty sweet, and overall, it was a nice way to end the day.






Entrez vos coordonnées ci-dessous ou cliquez sur une icône pour vous connecter:


Vous commentez à l'aide de votre compte Déconnexion /  Changer )

Photo Google

Vous commentez à l'aide de votre compte Google. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Image Twitter

Vous commentez à l'aide de votre compte Twitter. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Photo Facebook

Vous commentez à l'aide de votre compte Facebook. Déconnexion /  Changer )

Connexion à %s